Friday 10 May 2013

Book review: Apollyon, The covenant #4 by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

All right lets get started, where do I begin. Firstly I need to thank and curse my friend Christine who got me interested in the covenant series, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?! She knows how I get when characters that I really like (such as Alex) are put through things that they should not. Back to the book, my brain is not functioning anymore, I just finished this book like, maybe 10 minutes ago and I just needed some time to collate myself and understand what I had just read (in the good shocking way not the bad one).
Once again Jennifer L. Armentrout has my emotion spun tight around her little pinky. This book is just full of surprises, its like eating salted popcorn and you randomly get a sweet one instead, but much more frequently. I was so happy when Aiden decided to take Alex of the Elixer, but I was really shocked at how Alex's personality changed. Jennifer used great diction to enhance the realisation that Alex really had changed. [SPOILER ALERT] When Alex ran out of the house and nearly killed Aiden I almost thought that she would actually do it because, well ... she changed so much, maybe she would. [End of the spoiler alert :)] The book went at a pretty quick pace though, I think it helped keep me interested because sometimes when you read books that have super long fight scenes you get bored a little (well at least I do) 

One thing I really do admire about Alex is that she is so strong willed, she has the tenacity to do what need to be done. Another thing I love about Apollyon is that Alex has a closer relationship with her uncle Marcus, it was really sweet the way he cares for her. On to the thing that I was just ecstatic about the entire time I was reading this...  SUPERNATURAL IS MENTIONED <3 clearly as you can tell I watch the american T.V show Supernatural and I think it's amazing. Now, the fact that Armentrout mentions fantastic shows like supernatural and has quite a few references to the phenomenal Harry Potter series just makes me like Covenant even more! By having references to these things I found it easer to see the plot actually taking place in our world. Sometimes there are these books that have amazing sci-fi stories and you're just like "Damn I wish that was real"? Well you don't need to worry about it with this book ;) Occasionally when an author refers to another mega hit series (like Harry Potter) they just degrade their own work because once you start comparing your book to another then expectations come in and people start to compare the two.

Something that really hooked me onto the series is the way that the Greek Gods are depicted, I never really gave Apollo any thought because he was sort of a menial god in my eyes before I started reading the series. I really like the way Hades was described when he came to steal Alex (even though there isn't really a full description). It made me realise that the Disney version of Hades with his weird copper blue skin and bald head with flames fuming of of it was just one persons view of him, Armentrout redefined my ideas of how all the gods looked and I think she really improved it :)

The ending of Apollyon was just bleeh, or maybe not. So many books end with cliffhangers nowadays that I just expect it, I guess if you really think about it Apollyon was also ended in a sort of half cliffhanger because we dont really know what happened to Aiden and Marcus or what's gonna happen when [SPOILER ALERT] Alex will have to kill Seth, [End of the Spoiler] but I prefer this ending because that way I don't fell as irritated when I have to wait like half a year (sometimes more) for the next book. Regardless I'm just really happy that  the next book will be out in like half a year :D

If you really like YA books and Greek Mythology mixed in with a little bit of zombies and loads of Adventure then I really think you should read this, even if you aren't one of those type of readers Apollyon is still a good book to read.

And now I shall leave you with this (for those of you who have read the book you will just love it):
As my lids became too heavy to keep open, I heard her say, “I’m so proud of you, Lexie. Always remember that I’m proud of you and that I love you.” There was a pause and then her sweet voice said, seconds before I slipped away, “Don’t give up hope, baby. Paradise is waiting for you in the end.”'


No comments: