Saturday 25 May 2013

The Elite (The selection #2) by Kiera Cass


Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

Yo yo, its been a while since I wrote a review so here goes :) Recently The elite was published for the entire world to see (whoever got the ARC's you lucky people you!) Anyway I was pretty disappointed with the book. I'll keep this short because I'm not entirely sure if I can write much about it. 

The writing style wasn't fantastic, nothing new really we still see the events unfold from America's point of view but her thoughts are really stupid to put it simply. She doesnt think about the consequences of her actions (hint hint big event coming up if you do read the book) and she still hasn't made up her mind if she should pick Maxon or Aspen, though she does make up her mind at the end of the book and I really dont like who she picked :(. The plot was also pretty slow paced and there were so many events that were mostly pointless. There was one big, shocking event that does happen (its different to the one mentioned above) and that just broke my heart. The setting is still the same, Mer is still in the palace castle thing, Maxon's dad still has a distaste towards her except now she actually cares about what he thinks of her. Overall the book wasn't fantastic, definitely not a book I would read twice, I felt that there was so much that Cass could have done with the plot, like maybe make America kidnaped by the rebels or that someone inside could be secretly letting the rebels in. 

I feel like the only reason I might read the next book is just to see what the rebels will do. Overall the book was a pretty easy read, maybe two climactic events but thats about as far as the suspense goes. The language and plot were dull and the setting didn't change at all, I had my hopes up that this book would be better than the fist but sadly I was disappointed. One thing I did love was the covers of both the books so far, the dresses that they all wear look/are described gorgeously and I wish I had an occasion and one of those types of dresses to wear it to!

the two covers next to each other: 

Nevertheless it's still a good book to read lots of characteristic changes in the protagonists (hint hint nudge nudge), and if you are one of those people who just have to finish a series once you start them then you should really read this one :) 
Some fabulous quotes from the book that I thought were just too sweet:
  • Love is a beautiful fear.
    America, The Elite
  • No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me.
    America, The Selection
  • It’s just the way it is. The sky is blue, the sun is bright and Aspen endlessly loves America.
    Aspen, The Elite


Finally because I also love this cover to bits: The unofficial cover 

No comments: